Monday, September 20, 2010
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
So I got to thinking about what we do to cover up our true personalities...I know that we all go through stages ...I've been through a Goth faze, a Punk faze, a Prep faze...thank God I'm finally in a stage that I actually think is right (even though I am insecure at times)... but what is it about changing ourselves that is so... attractive?
Our clothes, our hair, our make-up, our music choices, our bodies; I feel as though we as a society are always trying to strive for something that isn't true to ourselves. Searching for something that will make us happy has become a past time for most people. And let's be honest, that's like searching for a needle in a haystack.
I spend my summers with the most amazing people ever. Camp Hope is for people with developmental disabilities looking for a week away from this material world I speak of. To come to a place where they can be who they are and no one will ask any questions about it. To come to a place where no one will stare at them or laugh at them because of their personality quirks that we as counselors love so much. To come to a place where they can just...BE. Every summer I work there I cherish, because every summer I learn that its okay to be me. The campers that I serve during the summer have a hard life...people look down on them because they might not be as smart as a "normal" human being is expected to be... or they may act a different way that may be deemed inappropriate in "normal" terms. But that doesn't stop them. Everyday is a joyous day to be the person that they are. My campers embrace themselves and embrace life EVERY DAY. Every day "normal" people run away from themselves...put on different masks around different people...try to conform to the "status-quo"... They run away...But not my campers. They run towards. They are who they are and that's all that matters...Isn't that just beautiful friends?
This was my second summer working at Camp Hope, and this summer I learned so much about myself from watching my campers. I really learned that I could be somebody. An amazing somebody. A somebody that I just may want to be for the rest of my life. I'm putting my campers ideals into action in my own life...from now on its time to embrace my personality, my crazy-silly-hyper personality. Its time to embrace my body, my not-so-perfect body. Its time to just...
to embrace life. to run towards.
Monday, September 13, 2010
- im a smiler: all too often i find my cheeks hurting from over-use
- im a napper: if im sleeping...just. dont. try. haha
- im a laugher: always laughing- side splitting, ear piercing, joyus laghter
- im a friend: always try to be the best one i can be
- im a hugger: not one of those christian side hugs. im all in or nothing!
- im a procrastinator: why do you think i started a blog?
- im a sinner: redeemed by grace every time
- im a dancer: i never said i was good...
- im a free spirit: dont try to hold me down
- im a fighter: never give up. never surrender (yes i did just quote Galaxy Quest..)
- im a scardy cat: jump out at me and ill most likely pee my pants (please dont try)
- im a lover: my ambition in life is to surround myself with people who love me for who i am
After reading that list over again I realize that I have only grazed the surface of my personality. But while reading this blog there should be some pretty good insight into my life. Im warning you, its not going to be perfect...its not always going to be funny...its not always going to be insightful...but ALWAYS real. So come and join me friends and frolic through the fields!